Internal medicine department, Alexandria faculty of medicine was founded in December 1943 by professor Dr. Mahmoud Bey Salah-Eldin, the first head of the department. It started only with 2 subdivisions, Now it is subdivided into 8 specialised units: Nephrology.
Internal medicine department occupies 5 floors of internal medicine hospital within Alexandria main university hospitals. Internal medicine hospital contains almost 300 beds with more than 100 residents and physicians in training. More than 100 Staff members and teaching assistants deliver both undergraduate and post-graduate Master and doctorate programs to thousands of national and international students.